A Common Roof Inspection Checklist
What to Expect from Your Roofing and Siding Contractor During an Inspection?
If you intend to hire a roofing and siding contractor for an inspection but you have no idea what to expect from them, this post will help you find out. Here, we will list a few things that need to be a part of every proper inspection.
– Make sure your attic is properly ventilated to prevent moisture buildup. Check all existing vents. Cracked plastic vents should be replaced, and vents with broken metal seems can be fixed by caulking shingles over the base.
– Check for stains on your walls and ceilings. Water spots indicate a leak which needs to be addressed professionally.
– Check for sun rays. If light comes through certain spots around your attic, this means your roof is not sealed completely. Light will not damage your roof, but water coming through these cracks will, so you’d better get the problem fixed as soon as you can.
– Shingles that are curling, blistering, or buckling are no longer playing their roof protection role. This is why damaged or missing shingles should be instantly replaced from your roofing and siding contractor once the problem is detected.
– Loose or exposed nails can be a source of leak which can cause serious structural damage. Get it fixed before moss starts growing and leaks start damaging the structure of your roof.
Flashing should be located around vents, pipes, chimneys, and all other places where the roof angle changes. Cracked, loose, or rusty flashing means that water can enter those vulnerable spots.
– Buildup of dirt and leaves in your gutters can cause water to build up and spill behind into the roof structure. Clean the gutters regularly and consider a debris-free gutter system to protect them.
– Asphalt granules found in your gutters during the professional inspection are an indicator that some of your shingles have reached the end of their life. The granules serve the purpose of repelling water and protecting the roof from the sun.
Now that you know the 4 basic elements a roofing inspection should cover, it is time for you to find a reliable roofer to do it! Martin A. Pitts Construction is a well-known roofing and siding contractor in Fort Worth TX that can help you address your problems. Our team can be reached at (817) 907-2073!
Home Improvement – Complete professional home improvement, room additions, kitchen and bathroom remodeling, finished basements, siding and roofing.